Thursday, May 15, 2008

I went to St. Louis last night to see Liars and Radiohead and packed up the car with a few friends to make the 5 hour trek. I had seen Radiohead play at the same place for the Hail to the Thief Tour in 2003, but had gotten there late and was basically in the weeds. So I was Looking forward to actually having a seat this time (Thanks Patrick)(Sorry Lawn Sitters).

First up was Liars. I got into them with They Were Wrong So We Drowned record & definitely loved Drums Not Dead, but I wasn't sure how they would come across in an ampitheater with the sun still out. They're the kind of band I want to see at 3 am in a dark cave after I haven't slept for 2 days. But they definitely pulled it off. 'Broken Witch' was as menacing and sinister as ever as was most of their set.

Radiohead were fantastic as expected. The light show was really unique, looking like a cage built of steel icicles (which was way cooler than it sounds) and was backed by a really simple video setup that still managed to be cooler than most every other video show i'd seen. They opened with All I need, then made their way through Jigsaw and Airbag before pulling out Kid A, which was definitely my favorite of the evening. The live version is almost somehow creepier and more haunting than the album. It has a quiet rave quality about it, like standing in the middle of a screaming crowd with headphones on.

And then they were done, leaving us all to wonder where would the world be without Radiohead?




probably still here, but definitely less enjoyable.....